We had a guest this weekend request Jan’s Blueberry Crumb Cake recipe that we have served here at the inn for a while now. It’s a favorite of ours and by the number of recipe requests we get, our guests also. So we decided to post it for your use. Enjoy!!
Blueberry Crumb Cake
1 package plain yellow cake mix
1 cup butter; melted
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar; packed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups blueberries; fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Set aside an ungreased 13 by 9 inch baking pan.
- Place the cake mix, melted butter, oatmeal, brown sugar, eggs and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with a mixer on low speed for 1 minute. The mixture will be thick.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of mixture and set aside.
- Spread the remaining mixture in the baking pan.
- Pour the blueberries onto the mixture spreading them evenly.
- Take the reserve mixture and spoon or glob over the blueberries.
- Bake the cake until light brown, about 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting.
Hint from Jan: Arkansas Blueberries are the best for this dessert. I have tried Texas, Michigan, Maryland and Virginia blueberries.
Hint from Richard: I love to eat this while it’s still a little warm. Adds a new layer to the flavors.
From the kitchen of 5 Ojo Inn Bed and Breakfast
Eureka Springs, AR