We Invite You to Explore the Story of Our Eureka Springs Bed & Breakfast
Your hosts, Tom and Susan Harman, just recently purchased the inn and are extremely honored to be continuing the tradition started by Kate Bixler Glenny in 1902.
Eureka Springs Bed & Breakfast Locations Offer a Deep History
The Ojo House
Our historic bed and breakfast in Eureka Springs began with the house at 5 Ojo Street, which was originally built as a boarding house by Kate Bixler Glenny in 1902. Ms. Glenny moved here from Brighton, Illinois where she had operated a boarding house called the Brighton Cottage that was known about the region as one of the neatest inns around. When she opened her boarding house here at 5 Ojo Street, she also called it Brighton Cottage.
Ms. Glenny was somewhat of an artist. According to her grandson she had hand painted wash basins in each room.
In 1912 Phineas T. Swett purchased the home and 5 Ojo became their family homestead for the next 70 years. The property then changed hands a number of times until Ms. Paula Kirby Adkins acquired the Inn in 1990 and ran it as a bed and breakfast for the next 13 years. In 2003, Jan and Richard Grinnell bought the property and continued to operate it as a premier Eureka Springs bed & breakfast until they sold it in November 2014.
It is interesting to note that Ojo Street is only the distance between the two telephone poles in front of the house and the only property on Ojo Street is 5 Ojo.
The Sweet House
Forty acres of land were acquired on top of the historic loop by J.C. Fraker in 1887 and it is believed that Mr. Fraker then built the house at 15 Summit (now known as the Sweet house).
In 1917 the Sweet family purchased the property, and it remained in their family until Ms. Paula Kirby Adkins purchased it in 1990. At that time she restored the home and incorporated it as part of the 5 Ojo Inn Bed & Breakfast next door.
There are a total of 9 guestrooms at 5 Ojo Inn Bed and Breakfast and every morning a gourmet breakfast is served in the Sweet House.