For the last 6 years we have had a Potluck Thanksgiving dinner here at 5 Ojo Inn Bed and Breakfast for our quaint Eureka Springs, AR neighborhood and any guests here who want to come. As our part of the potluck, we provide the turkey and a sweet potato casserole. This sweet potato recipe has become my holiday comfort food. First you take healthy sweet potatoes, combine with butter and sugar and cover with a sauce made with butter and sugar. Now I have to admit all that butter and sugar kills the healthy part, but they’re just so good……
Here’s the recipe.
Sweet Potato Supreme
5-6 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sugar
Salt to taste
milk as needed
—– Sauce —–
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Peel, cube and cook sweet potatoes until tender.
- Mash sweet potatoes and combine butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and salt in a 8-10 cup baking dish.
- Stir, adding milk if necessary until desired consistency reached.
- Pour sauce (see below) over casserole and sprinkle pecans over top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 400°F
—– Sauce —–
- Combine sauce ingredients (butter, sugar, and milk) in a saucepan.
- Cook until bubbly and thick.
- Let cool and stir in vanilla.
5 Ojo Inn Bed and Breakfast in Eureka Springs AR., the extraordinary escape