We received the following post on our Facebook Page the other day. “We LOVED our stay at 5 Ojo Inn Bed and Breakfast and we can’t wait to come back with the in-laws! If you get a chance sometime I would love the recipe for those Lemon Ricotta Pancakes – my hubbie is already bugging me to make them!
Well Christine, here it is. Enjoy!!
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
—– Pancake Batter —–
1 1/8 cup flour, all-purpose
1 1/2 tablespoon Sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/8 teaspoon baking soda
3/8 teaspoon Salt
2 large eggs; separated
1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cups buttermilk
3/8 cup ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons orange juice
3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
—– Lemon Sauce —–
3/8 cup Sugar
3 tablespoons Butter
1 1/2 tablespoon water
3/4 large egg yolk
1 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/8 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
— PANCAKE BATTER —
1) Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2) In a separate bowl mix together the egg yolks, oil, buttermilk, ricotta cheese, orange juice, lemon extract and lemon zest..
3) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
4) In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until just stiff. Fold the egg whites into the batter until just incorporated. Let set for 10-15 minutes.
— LEMON SAUCE —
1) Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium sized non-reactive pan. Heat over medium heat stirring constantly until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved on medium heat. (Stirring constantly will keep the egg yolk from coagulating).
2) Once the sauce reaches a boil, lower the temperature for one to two minutes. remove from heat and let set,. Keep the sauce warm over a very low flame or put in a pan of simmering water. keeping warm until ready to serve.
— PREPARATION —
1) Heat a thin layer of butter in a large skillet.
2) Ladle the batter into the skillet to form 3-inch cakes (use a 1 oz ladle).
3) Cook until small bubbles form and the edges begin to brown.
4) Turn and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, until just cooked through.
5) Drizzle each serving with two tablespoons of lemon sauce.
NOTE: To keep the pancakes warm until all are cooked, lay the pancakes out on a towel on a cookie rack in a warming oven (about 200°F)
NOTE: Fresh fruit on top gives a nice contrast to the pancakes. We also use a heated mixed fruit compote on them.
Yield: 4 Servings. This recipe makes about 12 three inch pancakes.